William Shakespeare "King Lear"
Chapter one

Once the King called his daughters and said to them: “I am too old, I am tired. I can no longer be
King of Great Britain. I want to divide the country into three parts. Each of you will be a queen in your part of the country. But first you have to tell me how much you love me. Then I will say who gets the best part. ”

Joerril and Reagan were not good daughters. They disliked their father and were incredibly greedy. They really wanted to become queens and were glad to hear that his father wanted to divide the kingdom into three parts. All they thought about was how to get the bigger and better part.

Therefore, Joeril said to her father: “Dear father, I love you very much. I love you more than my eyes, more of my beauty, more of life. No child loves his father more than I love you. ”Reagan said the same thing, but in other words. The king was very pleased. Then he asked his youngest daughter, Cordelia, to tell her how she loved her father. I must say that Cordelia was his favorite
Cordelia knew that her sisters were bad daughters. And she really truly loved her father and did not want to repeat the speeches that the sisters said. Therefore she was silent. Only when King Lear angrily shouted at her: “Speak!” She said: “I don’t understand why my sisters said they love you more than anything in the world. They are married. Do they not love their spouses? You are my father, and of course I love you. But when I get married, I will also have to love my husband ... ”

Oh, King Lear didn’t like the words of Cordelia. He yelled at her, saying that he did not need such a daughter. And he divided the kingdom between Joeril and Reagan, leaving nothing to the poor thing Cordelia.

* * *